THE HONEYMOON IS OVER
Matt went back to work this afternoon.
I took the boys out for our first solo excursion this morning - we went to the park for my monthly mom's club meeting. It went well! Noah slept most of the time and Jack didn't wander too far from me. There were a ton of people there so he was a little shy about climbing on the play structure which was FINE WITH ME! He's still young enough where he doesn't fully understand the consequences of falling off of high places, so he needs an adult nearby in case he decides to get down in an unfortunate manner. There was one time when I dumped Noah into a friend's lap and scooted over to Jack who was climbing straight up a tricky pole ladder thing, but other than that, we did very well.
The thing I was most worried about, however, was Jack's attachment to Matt. Daddy is definitely the "preferred parent" these days. We were very, VERY lucky to have Matt home from work for almost a month, and Jack has gotten quite attached. It's Daddy that he calls for when he wakes up, it's Daddy who gives him his milk before bed, it's Daddy who's been taking him on bike rides and to the park and basically everywhere else this last month. There were a few times that Matt dropped Jack and I off at a park and the whole time Jack was saying, "Daddy? Daddy? Go home? Go home?" One time he kept running towards the street where the car used to be and after that didn't work he started crawling away, as if I couldn't see him if he was low to the ground. It was cute, but didn't work. But today he was fine. I think it helped that we left Matt at home, instead of Matt driving all the way there with us and then driving away.
I even got a nap today! We put both boys down around 1pm and I went down myself. Dirty dishes be damned!
Matt left for work after putting Jack down for his nap and Jack was NOT PLEASED when he woke up and Matt wasn't there. Daddy? Daddy? Please, oh, please! So I took Jack over to Matt's closet and let him pick out one of Matt's work shirts to carry around with him - and it worked! He's in bed snuggled up with it right now. So cute!
We ran errands, I squoze both kids in a Target shopping cart (twice! I had to go to two Targets to find Matt's father's day present in stock - and boy does he deserve it this year!), fed Jack dinner, did his bedtime routine and ate my own dinner all with ease. I was expecting to be in a weepy heap on the floor by now, but I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance and playing around on the computer! Day one down, 6,569 to go...
I took the boys out for our first solo excursion this morning - we went to the park for my monthly mom's club meeting. It went well! Noah slept most of the time and Jack didn't wander too far from me. There were a ton of people there so he was a little shy about climbing on the play structure which was FINE WITH ME! He's still young enough where he doesn't fully understand the consequences of falling off of high places, so he needs an adult nearby in case he decides to get down in an unfortunate manner. There was one time when I dumped Noah into a friend's lap and scooted over to Jack who was climbing straight up a tricky pole ladder thing, but other than that, we did very well.
The thing I was most worried about, however, was Jack's attachment to Matt. Daddy is definitely the "preferred parent" these days. We were very, VERY lucky to have Matt home from work for almost a month, and Jack has gotten quite attached. It's Daddy that he calls for when he wakes up, it's Daddy who gives him his milk before bed, it's Daddy who's been taking him on bike rides and to the park and basically everywhere else this last month. There were a few times that Matt dropped Jack and I off at a park and the whole time Jack was saying, "Daddy? Daddy? Go home? Go home?" One time he kept running towards the street where the car used to be and after that didn't work he started crawling away, as if I couldn't see him if he was low to the ground. It was cute, but didn't work. But today he was fine. I think it helped that we left Matt at home, instead of Matt driving all the way there with us and then driving away.
I even got a nap today! We put both boys down around 1pm and I went down myself. Dirty dishes be damned!
Matt left for work after putting Jack down for his nap and Jack was NOT PLEASED when he woke up and Matt wasn't there. Daddy? Daddy? Please, oh, please! So I took Jack over to Matt's closet and let him pick out one of Matt's work shirts to carry around with him - and it worked! He's in bed snuggled up with it right now. So cute!
We ran errands, I squoze both kids in a Target shopping cart (twice! I had to go to two Targets to find Matt's father's day present in stock - and boy does he deserve it this year!), fed Jack dinner, did his bedtime routine and ate my own dinner all with ease. I was expecting to be in a weepy heap on the floor by now, but I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance and playing around on the computer! Day one down, 6,569 to go...


2 Comments:
At 11:50 PM,
Anonymous said…
Funny, we all cried and moaned when Matt left too....
At 8:27 AM,
Anonymous said…
Kate - the nervousness and transition queeziness seem right and normal for such a big step. Keep in mind, however, you (both of you, actually) have an amazing gift of buildingrightness and togetherness in your tribe. I suspect that most of the remaining 6569 will have a wonderful way of working out for all of you.
Post a Comment
<< Home